Saturday, December 24, 2011



My "day off" in Namche ended up being a lot more hiking than I had planned.  It seemed that I was utterly exhausted after pretty much any kind of physical activity, but I just couldn't stop hiking in and around the villages, soaking up the culture and how amazingly different everything was.




I still hadn't seen the mountains yet, not really anyway.  But, between the beautiful summer flowers, the vast amounts of unique stupas, and the refreshingly unashamed aura of spirituality, my cup of inspiration ran over.




Sitting in the grass, watching the random rays of light catch the stupa in front of me, I was totally content.  I remember a cool breeze would blow down from the mountains once in a while, and cool me off just enough to be comfortable again.  Naturally, just as I was ready to stay forever, I heard,




"OK guys, let's head out!  Ready?", Kiesche, my guide, said with a big grin.


"I'm gonna stay Kiesche.  You go ahead and I'll come back a little later," I replied.


And off he went...




Just a few moments later, something amazing happened.  The clouds parted, the sky opened up, and the sun came down.  Standing on top of a grassy hill, an ancient burial ground between me and the horizon, a large peak revealed itself in front of me.  It was so beautiful.  I excitedly grabbed my camera and composed a shot.




Suddenly Kiesche was back again, which was weird to say the least, but I was too happy to think too far into it.  I took in the view and savored the blue sky and icy peaks.  I eventually walked back down the hill, relishing the warm sun on my face, and on the views around me.




It was a good day.. and a good lesson:  


Don't Listen to Kiesche! 




Early mornings and late evenings were the times to be outdoors and see the views.  From then on, I wouldn't miss either.  We began our walk back, and just as quickly as the sun had come out, it disappeared again, covering the hills in big clouds and deep fog.  On the plus side, it wasn't without its certain charm.




I went to sleep that night, telling Kiesche I wanted to be up at dawn the next day.  After a fair bit of him whining, I finally gave in to 6:30.  I went to sleep that night, piled high in blankets, and dreamt of all the promise of the days to come.




The next day I awoke with the sun.  Kiesche was supposed to be my alarm, but I didn't want to miss another beautiful morning.  Up and into the chilly morning air, I dressed and packed, and made my way downstairs to wake up Kiesche.  The sky was clear, and after a quick bite to eat, we were on our way.  Porters were carrying their inpossibly heavy packs, yaks were eating giant breakfasts of endless potatoes, and it was rapidly getting warmer.  Everything seemed to be glorified in the morning sun.



 I felt like I was finally getting a hold on everything.  The way things worked, the way of life, the patterns.  My pack on tight, and a long road ahead, I was feeling cautiously optimistic about the days ahead.  The future seemed full of potential, and I was ready for all I could get.



No comments:

Post a Comment